12 August 2009

A Softer World

Alright, so I discovered this site a long time ago, but I only rediscovered it's awesomeness recently. A Softer World is sort of a comic, and sort of not. While it has three panels (sometimes six), it uses photography instead of illustration and often forgoes funny punch lines for sadder or darker themes. To put it in the author's own words, "It should be noted that this is in the tradition of George Simenon's 'romans durs' (or 'hard novels') and not in the lesser traditions of comics like Peanuts or anything else not French." That's not to say that there aren't some darkly funny moments in this strip, but even there the humor tends to be a bit darker.

So yeah, this is what I've been wasting my time with as of late. I'm currently enjoying this so much that I'm considering stealing the idea, and making my own. Probably won't post them (at least not here), but they'll be fun to work on. We'll see.

Oh, and also, this is kindof nerdy, but it makes me happy to actually recognize some of the locations of these pictures from traveling. For instance, I've been to this exact tree on some obscure park in Oregon. The simple things in life, eh?

No comments: