01 December 2008

Epilogue

Here I am, sitting in the B concourse of the Philadelphia International Airport, stuck between Minneapolis and Baltimore after one flight cancelation and two flight delays, and figuring now would be a good time to give my epilogue to the Obama campaign note I wrote before. (In fact, I'm writing this without internet and a bit inebriated, so please bear with if I'm a bit redundant). Anyway, here goes nothing.

To be honest, there isn't much that's changed in my mind since the campaign ended. I'm still in awe that I did a thing to change anything, or that anything has changed at all. Right now, I'm still waiting tables, earning shit wages; but I'm still hopeful for the future. Not just because we now have a candidate in office who's prepared to work for change, but because we now have a nation that's ready for change. Yeah, I know, we still don't see eye-to-eye on all (or even most) political issues, but we're at least unified on what needs to change. First time we've even had that in a while, in this country. How we go from here is still a mystery, but I still think we're at least one step closer to getting done what we have to.

In any case, I've still sort of skirted around summarizing my feelings on the campaign experience, so here it goes: Never underestimate the kindness of strangers, always be willing to contribute more than a vote to an idea you believe in, and never stop working after an election. It's just the beginning.

No comments: